Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Adversity! Who's to Blame? Part 1 of 3

-->All of us have had some experience with adversity in one way or another. The question is, who is responsible for the adversity in life? Should we blame ourselves, say the devil did it, or can we justly say God has brought it upon us? We have with us today a number of distinguished male guests and I would like to begin by introducing them to you.

On my left is Paul. Paul, tell us briefly about yourself.

I was an advocate of adversity. I persecuted Christians. One day on a journey to do just that I saw the light...literally. Now, I find myself at the center of adversity. Let me boast a little. I have worked harder, been imprisoned more, beaten severely to within an inch of my life, stoned, shipwrecked, and on the run from friends and foe. I have been cold, naked, hungry, thirsty, and gone without sleep. Along with all of that I have the daily pressures of my job.

Thank you, Paul. Seated next to Paul is Joseph. Joseph is a bit of a dreamer, isn't that right Joseph?

Yes, I am a dreamer and a few of them got me into trouble. I was seventeen when adversity hit me in a big way. My brothers tricked me. They stole my very colorful coat, a gift from my dad, and threw me into a pit. Then, they sold me to some Midianite merchants who in turn sold me to Potipher, one of the Pharaoh's officials. I was doing well working in Potipher's house until his wife came on to me. I turned and ran for all I was worth, but Potipher had me thrown in prison.

Thank you, Joseph. Next at the table is Job. Job, you have a notable reputation for being an upright and blameless man. How did you come to be here with us today?

I can't say that I understand it all myself. One day I was a rich, healthy man with a family and the next I was staring adversity in the face. My children and servants were killed and my livestock carried off. I, myself broke out in open, painful sores all over my body and I had to use broken pottery to scrape them off. My wife got mad at me and my friends turned against me. I have to admit it, I wished I was never born and I wanted to die.

That must have been very painful for you Job. Thank you for sharing that with us.

David, the slayer of bears and giants. What's your story Dave?

In short, after killing Goliath I became successful and famous, but soon Saul became jealous of me and wanted me dead. For a time I ran for my life and hid wherever I could. But I must humbly confess, I brought most of the adversity on myself when I had an affair with Bathsheba and had her husband killed in battle.

Thank you for your honesty David. Now, nearing the end of our guest list is Elijah. Welcome, Elijah. I am told that you were fed by ravens. Is that true?

Yes, that is a true account. The ravens brought me food and I drank water from a brook until it dried up in a severe famine. That's when all the trouble started with Jezebel. I ran for my life and was so afraid I prayed I would die. I slept under a broom tree, then traveled forty days and forty nights to sleep in a cave.

Thank you Elijah. We are extremely honored to have our final guest with us. Jesus, your story has been repeated over the centuries and I must say there are those of us who never tire of it. You left heaven for earth, were stripped of your clothing, mocked, flogged until the skin hung from your body, beaten beyond recognition, crowned with a crown of thorns, nailed to a cross, bled to death and buried in a borrowed grave. You were innocent of any wrong doings, and yet you suffered this horrendous adversity.

The statements you have made about me are true. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". That is why I preserved everything that has been written about me. I hope we can discover some truth about adversity. That is why I am here.


1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Lucy

    http://toddlergirls.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a walk with me. Please feel free to leave your footprints.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...