Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Radiant Friend


No, this is not about Wilbur, the radiant pig, from Charlotte's Web. This is about Bob. I hear you asking, "What about Bob?"

Well, let me begin by telling you Bob does not carry a gold fish named Gill around his neck. Although, he is involved with fishing. You could say he carries water with him wherever he goes and he is not adverse to ladling it out to the thirsty. 

At one time Bob surely took 'baby steps' and now he helps others to do so. I'm not sure, but I can guess that every once in a while Bob does need to take a vacation from his problems. He has at times been the victim of 'death therapy', but so far, he has successfully removed himself from those situations, and come out healthier for it. Bob does not sail through life, but I do know he's tied to the mast of the One who steers the ship. Simply put, Bob is the lead pastor of Radiant Fellowship, a church in Waupaca, WI. 

Now, you are asking, "Why are you writing a blog about Bob?" I don't really have an answer to that question except to say I read Bob's blog this morning and it moved me. In light of what I went through this week, I felt like he wrote what I was thinking, and I also think he said it darn straight. Well that, and I told y'all I'm desperate for 'Friends'. :)  So, I thought I would share Bob's blog with you. 


Pastor Bob's Confessional: Day 206: Family

"Today I called my dad to wish him a happy 71st birthday. We talked about how fast time is going and the fact that we are going out to eat at Famous Dave's to celebrate tomorrow (gotta love that). We both agreed that life really goes quick and we should remember to take time for family. 
In this fast paced world I thought I would send out a reminder to remember to take time for your family. We only have them for a short while and then everyone goes their own ways. For the family with little kids...even though there are those times you want to rip your hair out, there are also those times you never want to forget. Be sure to take time with your kids and spouse because we truly do not know what tomorrow will bring our way. 

For me one of the most recent memories I had that deepened my love for my dad was when they were moving into a new place a couple of years ago. Now I am 6'5" 220 pounds but I get that from my dad who in his 40's and 50's was a hard working factory worker who was 6'5" 320 pounds mostly solid with size 16D shoes. HE WAS A BIG MAN!!! My dad could always do things for himself until that day a few years ago when we were moving. Tracy and I were hauling things into the house and there I looked out of the corner of my eye to notice my dad hunched over his car with his head in his hands. I dropped the box I was carrying and went over to a man that was coming to grips with his age and was now crying. I asked him what was wrong and he replied "I just cannot keep up anymore...I can't do what I used to do and I feel useless." This was one of those times where I began to see the roles changing and now I must start taking care of my dad in some ways. It has made our relationship stronger.

It may mean clearing something off the schedule, it may mean going to church as a family and out to dinner afterwards, it may mean more date nights with your spouse. Whatever it takes to make the bond of family strong...let me encourage you to do that today. Don't forget what it was in the past that helped make your bond with your spouse or kids strong. Sometimes God has to remind us and usually it isn't the kind of reminder we enjoy. Family is an interesting thing, someone once said..."Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown. You know what though? It is the good times and the nutty times that build the memories that are here today and quickly gone tomorrow!" ~~ Bob Adams


Well, there you have it folks, a Radiant friend's view on family. "Whatever it takes to make the bond of family strong...let me encourage you to do that today."

As far as my family goes, we are fudge - mostly like the semi-sweet variety, with more than a few nuts. And just to prove that's true here's a quote for you from the Peanut, "Don't put your parents out to pasture, just let them lounge around the paddock and don't get on their back too often." :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a walk with me. Please feel free to leave your footprints.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...